Monday, January 30, 2012

Is putting the names of well-known characters/games/titles into your lyrics OK in terms of copyright?

If I want to mention a well-known video game (like Galaga), characters (like Mario/Luigi) or other such titles into the lyrics I'm making for a song, is this legal and allowed? Or am I breaching copyright?Is putting the names of well-known characters/games/titles into your lyrics OK in terms of copyright?
I believe that just mentioning them is okay and would fall under the provision of fair use.Is putting the names of well-known characters/games/titles into your lyrics OK in terms of copyright?
I don't think so... although I see some fault in my answer. But I'm sure no one cares unless you make a million bucks off that certain song, then those said companies will come attack you with copyright infringements and be all like "It's our money because you used said name that belongs to us" and stuff like that, and it'll be a huge legal mess. But yeah, go for it. You're fine.Is putting the names of well-known characters/games/titles into your lyrics OK in terms of copyright?
Yes as long as you have deep pockets to pay out the defamation suits that are sure to follow. remember that they have lawyers too
  • towing
  • forza motorsport 3
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment